Sunday, January 3, 2010

The most special trip!

My trip back to Brighton for the most special occasion, had been planned for months. Fingers had been tightly crossed that I would arrive in Brighton before my grandchild was born! I arrived into Gatwick on November 12th, the day before the due date. I was met at the airport by Callie so Frankie did not have to do the drive, which gave us plenty of time to catch up which was lovely.

Baby was due on Friday 13th November, ominous.... so on that day we decided to have a little trip out, nothing worse than sitting, waiting for exciting things to happen. We popped into Brighton, and Frankie walked my legs off me, all round the town, and we finished up in the famous Brighton "Tea Cozy", tea rooms, run by David, a regular on the tv program Brighton Beach Patrol. We probably spent about two hours in there, enjoying a beautiful cream tea, and chatting to David, a larger than life character, that actually deserves a medal from the queen, yes the real queen! David and his partner have shared their lives and home with people that really needed them.  I can't wait to go back!

Frankie with David, at the fab Brighton Tea Cozy, tea rooms


The following day we thought we would take it a little easier and have a little wander round Lewes where Frankie lives, once again she walked me off my feet. Hopefully the baby will come soon at this rate, or I will be exhausted!

Well soon the special day arrived, I am sure Frankie and Chris will not mind me sharing it with you.

Frankie came into me at 3.50 am saying she had been having pains for a while, and she thought her waters had broken. It rather took me back to when I was expecting her, and I sat, at that time with my dear mum, and we timed the contractions together. When we had a pattern emerging, Frankie phoned the hospital. She was told to wait until she was having three contractions every ten minutes, and they were lasting nearly a minute. So around 7.00 am Chris phoned the hospital and said we were on our way.  When we arrived at the hospital, the midwife said Frankie was only just starting to dilate and gave her some pain killers and a sleeping tablet and suggested she went home. So rather glumly that's what we did!

We sat and tried to get into Jeremy Kyle............ vile, and This morning......... much better, half way through Lose Women..... which I love, and we were on our way back. It's awful to see your baby in such pain and crying, but you know it is all going to be worth it. Back up to the delivery suite and poor little Frankie was only 4 cms. Sadly Frankie had to have some pethidine, which she did not want to do. Within minutes it was making her sick. She was moved downstairs to have a sleep, which did not really happen, and then back upstairs two hours later when things thank goodness had gone up a gear.

The plan was never really for me to be in the delivery room when Frankie gave birth.  I felt it was a very special time for her and Chris, but I did say if she wanted me, I would be there for her. After they moved Frankie, I called in to see how she was doing, and I guess I just stayed. Things had started to move quicker thank goodness, and Frankie was offered gas and air. How funny, my normally wonderful, funny, enthusiastic, spirited, although sometimes dare I say it..... short tempered daughter was in the most amazing spirits. She was so lovely and funny, inbetween contractions, of course! All the midwives were saying "Is she always this lovely?" Chris and I echoed "NOOOO!"

She was nearly there and baby was well on its way, but the final stage of labour was taking forever, four hours in fact! At 10.16pm a little girl was born. As she was born the midwife said, "No wonder she took so long!" The cord was round her neck and under her arm! My poor little girl, she had gone through so much.  I had a beautiful granddaughter!

Frankie, Chris and my beautiful granddaughter about 5 minutes old!
Proud nannie!

Frankie came out of hospital the following day, and was thrilled to find their little flat covered in banners and balloons from Mark and Callie. I had given them the keys when I met them in town that morning. Frankie and Chris and their beautiful little girl settled down to family life!

November 20th was Marks birthday so he and Callie came over to Frankie and Chris's flat, and we all had a lovely evening and a take away plus lots of baby cuddles, and of course took loads of photos!

Proud Uncle Mark

We had such a lovely time, with friends coming and going, below are a few of my favourite photos!

Mark and CallieElla, Ashdon and Tily with Kaci
A very excited Auntie Lulu!
Lizzie and gorgeous baby Freddie
Mairead
Handsome little Chase
Alans auntie and nanna

No comments: